Explore the hottest family-friendly spotsBefore you plan your family adventure, jot down some of these top destinations within Newport Beach that anyone in your family can enjoy.
- Newport Pier hosts the Dory Fleet Fish Market and serves as an ideal spot for cyclists and skaters.
- Corona del Mar State Beach is one of the most popular shorelines in the city and a haven for surfers, sunbathers and swimmers.
- Balboa Island is home to charming cottages, chic coastal shops and eclectic restaurants.
Picnic at a playgroundSometimes all you need for a great family outing is a cooler of food, a shady spot and some fun playground equipment.
- Marina Park and its adjacent beach playground and picnic area on Balboa Island are a perfect place to relax and play.
- TeWinkle Park is in nearby Costa Mesa and offers a playground and green space for little ones, plus a skate park for older kids.
- Bonita Canyon Sports Park has a soccer field, baseball diamonds, basketball courts, tennis courts, pickleball courts, a playground and shaded picnic areas.
Get out on the waterThe Pacific is calling! Enjoy a day out on the water with one of these family adventures.
- Davey’s Locker offers whale watching tours, deep-sea fishing excursions and more for the whole family.
- Duffy Electric Boat Rentals lets you be the captain of a private canopy boat while you explore Newport Beach Harbor.
- Marina Park Sailing Center offers stand-up paddleboard and kayak rentals to families with kids ages 6 and up.
Burn off some energyIf you’re looking for something that will get everyone totally tuckered out by the end of the day, try some of these energetic Newport Beach activities.
- Balboa Fun Zone on Balboa Island is one of Newport Beach’s most popular spots, offering carnival rides, delicious goodies and arcade games.
- Newport Dunes is technically a camping destination, but its inflatable water park is open to non-campers, and you can also rent kayaks and paddleboards for a full day of fun in and on the water.
- Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt is a four-hour tour with a twist. Cover three miles of Newport Beach on foot while trying to be the first team to find the clues and solve the mystery. (Note: Hunts are open to all ages, but are likely too challenging for children under 12. All players under 18 must have a release signed by a parent or guardian.)
Get back to natureExpand your family’s horizons by exploring botany and biology together at these beautiful and enriching Newport Beach destinations.
- Centennial Farm is a working farm in nearby Costa Mesa that offers interactive farm animal experiences and tours of its well-cultivated gardens.
- The Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve includes 135 acres of land surrounding the bay and is open for hiking, biking and wildlife watching. The Peter & Mary Muth Interpretive Center at the reserve has interactive displays that are perfect for kids.
- Sherman Library & Gardens in Corona del Mar has a 2.2-acre botanical garden, complete with fountains and a koi pond. Catch a bite to eat at the on-site Cultivar Restaurant.
- The Environmental Nature Center is home to 3.5 acres of walking trails, plus a nature museum and a popular seasonal butterfly house.
Hit the beachWhether you want to ride the waves or bask in the sun, a list of Newport Beach activities for the whole family wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the best local beaches.
- Crystal Cove State Park is just south of Newport Beach and includes four different beaches. Check out this map for the best spots to swim, surf, bodysurf and view tidepools.
- Little Corona del Mar Beach is one of the most popular beaches in Newport Beach for families, thanks to its calm waters, tidepools and no-stairs access.
- The Wedge at the southernmost tip of Balboa Island is a great spot to hang out and watch skilled bodysurfers catching waves up to 30 feet high.
Broaden your horizonsIf your crew needs a little more culture in their lives, here are a few opportunities for cultural and educational enlightenment.
- Segerstrom Center for the Arts is a gorgeous, 3,000-seat theater in Costa Mesa that hosts theatrical performances and concerts. (Right next door, the brand-new Orange County Museum of Art is set to open in October 2022.)
- The Art + Soul Collective offers art classes and parties for families and friends to enjoy together.
- Newport Beach Public Library has seven branches throughout Newport Beach, Balboa and Corona del Mar where you can catch a family-friendly story time or curl up with a good book.
Eat, shop and be merryNot all Newport Beach shops and eateries are ideal for families, but these are well suited for kids and teens.
- Fashion Island is a spacious outdoor mall for families needing retail therapy and a bite to eat. The fountains and high-end boutiques give it an upscale ambiance, but the fast food and mainstream retail shops keep it affordable.
- Ruby’s Diner got its start at Balboa Pier in Newport Beach and has grown into a small chain serving American classics. It even offers a kids menu, with favorites like pancakes, french toast and mac & cheese.
- Anthill shopNplay is a toys, clothing and accessories store in Westcliff Plaza. You shop while your kids romp in the play area.