- In a dramatic gender role flip, men are taking charge of the second home purchase; nearly 70% of the people who contact Pacaso to ask about buying a second home are men. By contrast, women historically drive 91% of the decisions around buying a primary home.
- Of the people who desire to own a second home but don’t already, nearly half (49.7%) said inability to afford the home is holding them back from purchasing one. More than a third (36.6%) said they can’t justify spending the money on a second home, and 16.9% said they won’t use the home enough.
- Second-home dreamers overwhelmingly prefer to drive to their second home (70.9%) vs. fly (26.7%), and most people want a second home near water rather than the mountains.
- Nearly a third of second home owners say they are using their getaways more often than before Covid-19.
- Modern is the most desired home design style, followed closely by rustic.
Data & Research
Second home market trends: Our annual Second Home Sentiment Report
Published Date: January 6, 2023
- Share this post: